Maintaining good mental health is in everyone’s interest, however one in four of us will struggle with mental health problems at some time in our lives. Although it is possible to manage these conditions well and lead a full and productive life, sometimes people struggle to maintain positive relationships, a stable job and housing. We believe that mental health problems should not prevent anyone from leading a long and rewarding life.
We are working with Telford and Wrekin Council to improve the mental health and emotional wellbeing of our population. We have developed a mental health strategy with three key ambitions:
- To develop supportive communities
- To ensure early intervention
- To provide quality services
For more information on this plan see: Telford and Wrekin Mental Health Strategy 2016-2019
Our mental health strategy will continue to be reviewed and updated to reflect the needs of our residents and ensure that we are supporting everyone in the best possible way.
To learn more about different mental health issues and how they can affect you, explore these Self Help Guides on Anxiety, Depression, Alcohol Abuse and many more.
If you need more help try these organisations:
Depression, anxiety or low mood
- Branches is a peer led drop in service that listens and supports people with mental health and drug and alcohol issues. Visit their facebook page for more information.
- The Primary Care Wellbeing Service offer free information, guidance and talking therapies
- SilverCloud offers secure, immediate access to online supported CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) programmes, tailored to your specific needs.
- Kooth offers Free, safe and anonymous online support for children and young people
- Family Connect offer information about childcare settings, local family support organisations and leisure facilities in and around Telford
- 0-25’s health and well-being service for children and young people
- You can call the Samaritans in confidence and talk about whatever you want, for free, any time, from any phone on 116 123.
Mental health support
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a common condition that mainly affects behaviour. Contact your GP who can refer you to mental health wellbeing service for a diagnosis and medication if needed.
Telford Autism Hub (listen not label) provide help and support to adults with autism
If you are concerned that you or a family member is having problems with dementia please see your GP.
To learn more about Dementia in your area see the Telford and Wrekin Dementia Strategy 2016-2020.
If you or someone you care for is living with dementia and would like to influence local and national progress get involved with the Shropshire and Telford Dementia Support Panel
Learning Disabilities (LD)