Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin have established a Local Maternity System (LMS) to ensure service transformation happens at a local level. This Plan describes how the LMS will transform local maternity services by 2020/21. We have developed this LMS plan in partnership with stakeholders to ensure the vision we propose is realistic. However, we know that we need to develop co-production even further and is something we will strive to do, embedding co-production at the heart of all activity as this plan is progressed. Co-production will become ‘business as usual’ by 2020/21. For more information please visit our Maternity Services webpage.
More Women and their families will:
- Be healthier during their pregnancy and will have a better understanding of how to keep themselves and their baby healthy
- Have better information about pregnancy and parenthood that is personal to their circumstances
- Have support with their emotional wellbeing throughout their pregnancy and after their baby is born
- Have more choice in the care they receive and will feel involved in decisions about their care
- Be able to access a wider range of services closer to home
- Know the midwife caring for them throughout pregnancy, birth and after the baby is born
- Give birth in a midwifery led setting
- Be involved in how services are designed and delivered
Currently, in Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin, there is a lot going on which is affecting our Maternity Services and a leaflet has been produced to help explain the different strands of work, with separate organisational responsibility, and how they all fit together.
Transforming Midwifery Care
Over the last two years we have carried out a review of our local midwifery care. This has involved listening to the views and experiences of hundreds of women and their families to understand how they want to be cared for and supported before, during and after having a baby. The review has also involved gathering the views of professionals working in or with maternity services and looking at the latest research, evidence and best practice across the country.
- Draft pre-consultation engagement report 2017-June2019
- Draft pre-consultation engagement report (Seldom Heard Groups) June 2019
- Draft Equalities Impact Assessment June 2019
The review highlighted that the current model of midwifery care can be improved. The evidence and the feedback told us that it does not always meet the needs and wishes of most women living in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin today.
We have looked in detail at all the feedback and evidence. Bringing all this information together, we have developed a proposal for how we can transform the way midwifery care is delivered. By making these changes, more women across Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin would get high quality midwifery care closer to home improving outcomes for them and their babies. It would also help create a great service for staff to work in where they will be able to work more flexibly to provide midwifery care where it is needed.
The consultation will begin after the proposal has been through a robust assurance process. We will keep these pages up to date to share further information as it becomes available.
How you can get involved
The NHS in Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin is asking women, their partners and families and health professionals who are working in maternity services to get involved in shaping local maternity services.
We need the experiences and views of women, their partners and families who have recently used the services to help us understand what women and their families need at every stage of their journey.
“We can’t do this successfully without the input of women, their partners and families who have used or are currently using the services. Working together we can try to make every woman’s experience of the care they receive before, during and after pregnancy a more positive one.”
If you are interested in being involved in reshaping future maternity services, there are various ways of getting involved:
- Facebook: Join the Facebook group
- Twitter: Follow @MVP_Shrop_TW
Better Births Newsletter
The Summer 2019 Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin Better Births newsletter has now been published and you can view this here