During Covid-19 Useful links for Parents, Carers and Others that Support Children and Young People with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
Issued by The Department for Health and Social Care and The Department for Education
General Overall Guidance
On the GOV.UK website there is a comprehensive set of guidance on coronavirus (COVID-19): https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus.
- The Department for Education has a Coronavirus helpline for education and children's social care related queries available to anyone working in the sector as well as parents/carers.
Its number is 0800 046 8687 with advisors responding to questions between 8am-6pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-4pm on Saturday and Sunday.
Frequently Asked Questions for educational setting and local authorities
- There are a number of frequently asked questions for different educational settings and for local authorities at this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-vulnerable-children-and-young-people.
- Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-social-distancing-in-education-and-childcare-settings/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-social-distancing-in-education-and-childcare-settings
- and here is the link for special schools: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-send-risk-assessment-guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-send-risk-assessment-guidance
Frequently Asked Questions about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Other support includes:
- The charity Contact provides information and advice for families of disabled children with support available via their Freephone Helpline 0800 808 3555 and website: https://contact.org.uk/covid-19.
- CDC have been asked to pull together resources and to respond to frequently asked questions, the link is here: https://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/help-resources/resources/covid-19-support-and-guidance
- The Information Advice and Support Services Network can provide further help: https://cyp.iassnetwork.org.uk/getting-help/
- The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health have provided an overview of when to seek medical advice on coronavirus (COVID-19). For information regarding 111 and what to do if your child is unwell: https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2020-04/covid19_advice_for_parents_when_child_unwell_or_injured_poster.pdf