The Better Care Fund (BCF) programme was a national requirement for local development of integrated working between health and social care services. Implementation formally commenced in 2015 and required the Council and the CCG to agree targets and working arrangements to transform the health and social care system in Telford and Wrekin focussing on key objectives. These remain central to the BCF programme:
- Resilient local communities focussing on well-being and Prevention
- Integrated preventative services delivered at a neighbourhood level
- A wide range of personalised approaches to support people to remain independent for as long as possible
- Reduced reliance on social care services and individuals having a greater role in their own healthcare
- Integrated teams to support diagnosing, treating and supporting people at home over 7 days up to 24 hours / day
- Reduced avoidable admissions
Integration of services brings benefits to individuals, by reducing duplication of assessment; improving joint and personalised care while enabling health and social care services to be more efficient in care delivery. .
For the next two years (April 2017- March 2019) the Programme will build on the previous plan and deliver across key areas:
- Community Resilience
- Neighbourhood Care
- Integrated Care
- Frailty Programme
- Managing Transfers of Care from Hospital and implement the ‘High Impact Changes’
Through these programmes, the Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG) and Telford and Wrekin Council aim to deliver the best possible health and social care outcomes for individual needs through pooled budgets and a shared initiative. The BCF marks a focus on preventative measures within the community that seek to keep individuals healthy, rather than treating them once their health has deteriorated.
The programmes being implemented will enable those at increased risk of hospital nursing or residential care admission to have easy access to systems in place and to get appropriate help at an early stage.
The Better Care Fund Narrative Plan contains more information on the current BCF programmes that are being implemented across Telford and Wrekin.
For further information about the BCF and how it is impacting Telford and Wrekin see:
- 2017-19 Integration and Better Care Fund Policy Framework
- Kings Fund Video
- Mrs Andrews You Tube
- BCF pilot evaluation report
- BCF Patient Stories Jan 2015